It was 1936, with an operating budget of $6.00, which Adelaide Phillips used to open a small flower stand on a lot she purchased along highway 101 in Encinitas, California. Flowers by Adelaide was born and it was a single person operation until her son, Harry Jr., built a structure that was to become her first full service flower shop in 1945. It was Adelaide's love of flowers and a strong will to succeed in business that blossomed into a passion that would cover three generations.
After working as a partner with Adelaide for over three decades, Harry did a buyout in 1974 and became sole owner. Adelaide and Harry shared the same passion for the industry and business and he was determined to grow Adelaide's to be the premier floral shop in Southern California. Harry passed away in 2009 and his daughter Gina is at the helm filling his footsteps.
Adelaide started a legacy back in 1936, and her son Harry took that legacy, built a strong team of people which along with his daughter Gina, turned Adelaide's in to what it is today. Three generations of delivering emotions of the heart.
In November 2010, Gina with much care and love sold the business to the Newell family to carry on the heartfelt family traditions that she, her father and her grandmother created. The Newells were thrilled to take over a La Jolla institution and to continue the family traditions, exceptional quality and personal service that Adelaide's has always provided.